> Android, Video, infoTMIC iMAPx8xx
> InfoTMIC iMAPx15 Dual Cortex-A5 SoC To Power $35 Android Tablets
InfoTMIC has recently launched the iMAPx15 SoC featuring 2 Cortex A5 and a Mali-400 GPU. Infotmic iMAPx15 is a low cost version of iMAPx820 that is cost optimized for tablets, and lacks features such as SATA and GPS.
Charbax interviewed InfoTMIC marketing director at CES 2013, where they discussed the new processor, and showcased a 7″ Android 4.1 tablet powered by iMAPx15 that is said to cost just $35. The device is not sold on Chinese websites yet, so I could not confirm this claim. At first, I thought it would be unlikely to be the retail price, but there are some 7″ Android tablets selling for about $40 on Aliexpress. So the $35 price tag could either be the unit price for 1K orders or the retail price in China.
iMAPx15 is not listed on the company website, but I could still gather the specs from the video:
- Processor – 2 Cortex A5 cores up to 1.2 GHz
- GPU – Mali 400 GPU up to 400 MHz
- FULL-HD (1080p) video decoder (multiple codecs)
- FULL-HD (1080p) encoder (H.264)
- JPEG Decoder & Encoder
- Video Out – HDMI 1.4A, RGB / I80 / TV_IF
- CAMERA I/F
- Memory Controller – DDR/DDR2/DDR3 & LPDDR
- USB – 2x USB2.0 host & 1x USB OTG
- Process – TSMC 40LP
- Package – TFBGA 14x14mm 0.65mm pitch
InfoTMIC also plans to release a Quad Core Cortex a9 later this year.