Ambarella has recently today introduced the A9 camera System on Chip (SoC) with support for the new 4K Ultra HD video standard in order to power next generation of mirrorless, sports, and digital still cameras. Ambarella A9 SoC features two ARM Cortex A9 cores (surprisingly), as well as Ambarella Image and Video DSPs.
The A9′s video features include video timelapse modes, capture of high-resolution still images during video recording, Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), and burst capture of up to sixty 12-megapixel still images per second. Ultra-wide angle and small form factor lenses are supported with full lens distortion correction. The A9 also support High Dynamic Range (HDR) video.
Ambarella A9 Feature Summary:
- 4K Ultra HD video recording @ 30 fps.
- High definition video recording at 720p @ 240fps and 1080p @ 120fps.
- Burst mode support for still image capture of over 700 Megapixels per second.
- Multi-exposure High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging support, including local tone mapping, preserves image details in high contrast scenes.
- Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with rolling shutter correction.
- 3D Motion-Compensated Temporal Filtering (MCTF) with de-ghosting for reduced artifacts and low light performance.
- Support for applications including wireless preview, playback, and upload of stills and videos to a smartphone or directly to the Internet over WiFi.
- Interfaces such as DDR3L, USB 2.0 host, HDMI, and SDXC SD card.
- Low power – <1W for 1080p60 encode, <2W for Ultra HD 4K encode.
The company provide an A9 development platform (First picture above) with a main board and a sensor board with C/CS mount lens. Sensors are available from Aptina, OmniVision, Samsung, Sony… The software development kit includes royalty-free libraries for ISP, 3A, & codecs, a DV/DSC camera sample application with full source code, as well as a middleware API library suite. Ambarella also provides full documentation both for software (Programmer’s guide, application notes, API documents), and hardware design (SoC data sheet, BOM, schematics and layout files).
The A9 SoC is available now at an undisclosed price. Further details can be found on Ambarella product brief.
Via: Embedded Star